Mark Your Calendars!
|4/9-4/23, 1 hour/day||SBAC Testing grades 4 & 5|
|4/23-5/4, 1 hour/day||SBAC Testing Grade 3|
|4/26, Thursday, 6-7:30 pm||SK Sports Celebration!|
|5/3, Thursday, 6 pm||PTA Meeting|
|5/5, Saturday, 10 am||Welcome Incoming Kinder Breakfast; And Green Workday!|
|5/10, Thursday, 6 pm||StageWrite @ Brava Theatre|
|5/12, Saturday, 6:30 pm||StageWrite @ Brava Theatre|
|5/15, Tuesday, 5:30||SSC|
|5/28, Monday, Memorial Day Holiday - No School|
|6/2, Saturday, 11am–2pm||End of Year Carnival|
|6/3, Sunday||Green Workday!|
|6/4, Monday||5th Grade Promotion|
|6/5, Tuesday||Kinder Promotion|
|6/6, Wednesday||Last Day of School!|
A Note from Principal Martin
My heartfelt thanks to all members of our community. I am always in awe of the hard work of our students, staff and parents. Here are some examples: Students in all classes have been focused on the SBAC and I hope that will show in their results. Staff continue to support students in and outside of the classroom. Parents have been available for events big and small From the Spring Fling to Math Circle to greening days, it is clear we have an engaged and caring community. Thanks to all for your continued support as we continue to make SK a place of peace and learning, -D
PTA Meeting—Thursday, May 3rd, 6pm, SK cafeteria
- 6 pm SKASP update
- 6:05 Treasurer’s and Auditor’s Report and Ratification
- 6:15 Events Updates
- 6:20 4th/5th classroom/teacher model update
- 6:45 Teacher 18 proposal and budget ask
- 7:00 PTA 2018-2019 preliminary budget strategy and community discussion
- 7:30 Adjourn
Please join us at our final PTA meeting of 2017-2018. Typically, our last meeting is a celebration, and this year, we have a lot to celebrate! But we also have developments on our Mandarin Immersion 4th and 5th grade model, with accompanying budget proposal. More info to come via skpta google group and hardcopy next week! Come one, come all—even if the upper grades feels years away, it’s never too early to engage!
Come to the Starr King Sports Celebration, Thursday April 26, 6-7:30, SK cafeteria
All are invited to celebrate our 150 athletes and our fabulous coaches. Enjoy dinner, professional athletes and FUN!
Thank You Starr King Community from Spring Fling Committee!
A huge thank you to the Starr King Community! I am so proud to share that we matched last year and reached our goal of raising $85,000. And the $ donations are still trickling in! This includes $34,500 for the Teacher Fund-In-Need which goes to dedicated teacher programs, such as teacher summer institute and conferences for professional development.
My heartfelt appreciation to:
- Teachers, Staff and Principal Darlene for coming to Spring Fling, donating teacher parties for our auction, and all the amazing things you do everyday for our students.
- Parents who volunteered, are hosting family parties, signed up for family parties, sold raffle tickets, bought raffle tickets, bought wine lotto tickets, bid in our online auction, solicited donations. Starr King Parents rock!
- Our awesome Spring Fling Committee who sure know how to throw a party.
Since $ donations are still coming in, we will report the final Spring Fling #’s before end of year. In the meantime, be on the lookout for the Post-Spring Fling (Fire Sale) Online Auction.
END OF YEAR CARNIVAL! Saturday, June 2. (11AM ~ 2PM)
- Come one, come all to Starr King's End of the Year Carnival on Sat., June 2, 11a-2p @ SK.
- Enjoy Hot Dogs, Games and Win Prizes. Free for the SK community.
- As a reminder, we are accepting donations for the Toy & Book Drive until May 4. New/gently used items small and large (esp. Stuffed Animals) can be brought to the Main Office bin near the Teacher Mailboxes. These treasures will be used at our Carnival Prize station.
Can you help with the Carnival fun? Carnival Volunteers are needed for food and game stations as well as donations for an old-fashioned Cake Walk. (What is a Cakewalk? Think musical chairs but the winner gets to pick a delicious treat!)
- (Some sign ups indicate need for specific grades and others open to all grades)
Latest Treasurer’s Report
Please see the attached treasurer’s report from March 16-April 13.
We will be voting to ratify this report at the May meeting. Receipts for all transactions (including the names of people to whom checks were written) are available upon request.
I'll also be asking the PTA to approve around $1000 in preliminary spending for next fall for the period of time between budgets, so I can pay bills over the summer and at the beginning of the school year, and also the final list of approvals needed so I can close out this year's budget. I'll provide a more detailed breakdown of what we're requesting as we get closer to the May meeting. We will also present a preview of next year's budget for community input.
Thanks for reelecting me for treasurer for next year, and I'm looking forward to working with you all and our new families!